Changing the color of your hair is possible with the different types of hair dye. Today’s beauty supplies stores have a wide range of hair products you can enjoy at home! If you prefer professional work done on your hair, knowing your options concerning the types of hair dyes can also help you make better decisions. Here are the different kinds of hair dyes:
- Temporary dyes – These include hair rinses, hair chalk or crayons, temporary hair sprays, and hair mascaras. These products do not penetrate your hair’s core and therefore can be washed out easily. It’s perfect for special events or costume parties.
- Semi-permanent – Semi-permanent color lasts longer than temporary ones, but only for about 4-5 shampoos. It has no ammonia and can be used even on fragile or permed hair. It helps add richness to hair and can help cover graying sections too. This is great if you simply want to try a new shade but haven’t completely decided on it yet.
- Demi-permanent color – This lasts longer than semi-permanent and almost as long as permanent hair dyes. Like semi-permanent color, it cannot lighten the color of your hair. It uses a developer and you can use this if you want gray hair coverage for longer.
- Permanent hair color – Permanent colors penetrate the shaft of your hair, and would require growing out or cutting to make it disappear. It offers 100% coverage for gray hair, and can be done by applying it onto dark hair, or lightening dark hair first and then adding the dye for a more vibrant effect.
- Highlights and lowlights – Highlights can lighten the hair color while lowlights are used to darken the hair’s natural color to give the lighter strands more depth. Similar to hair chalk, this is often used for certain sections of the hair only.
Choose from these different types and discover the right kind of hair color for you!